[AMPS] Two XFMR in parallel

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Two XFMR in parallel
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:01:52 -0500
At 10:18 AM 1/18/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>> The Radio Handbook shows a method of balancing two transformers using
>> the secondary winding of a third transformer to balance the load
>> between the two.  I have never tried this, but it looks good in
>> theory
>
>I'm not sure what book that is but any impedance added to
>"balance" the transformers will hurt the dynamic regulation unless
>it is a zero resistance impedance with "push-pull" configuration.

True enough Tom, but Dynamic Regulation isn't the point of the discussion.
The method allows proper load sharing (with minimized circulating current
between windings) of two dissimilar transformer windings. Deterioration of
regulation is simply a consequence of achieving the first goal.  The
additional "third transformer" mentioned above is the "balancing coil" I
mentioned in another e-mail. It works. But like everything else, there's
always some consequence to adding another component.

Phil