[AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 13:57:50 -0700
Barry Kirkwood wrote:

> I have never heard of a transformer burning out with just magnetising
> current on 50Hz when it would run cool on 60Hz.
> Did you call Peter Dahl on April 1st?

No, it wasn't April 1.  I too have used 50/60 Hz equipment such as the SB200 on
50 Hz without any trouble.  I've also used 115v/60 Hz. US gear with step-down
transformers on 230v/50 Hz.  However, larger transformers can be built for 60
Hz. only and in the case of the transformer rated at approximately 3kva CCS
which I used, Dahl told me that a 50 Hz. rating was neccessary.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA