[AMPS] Thar she blows

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Thar she blows
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 18:24:01 -0500
? The failure of which components, Phil?  //   Most of the 3-500z
failures that I have seen are due to a fil./grid short following a
'big-bang'.

I guess over the years I have seen all of the SB-200/220 etc. components
fail. Nothing comes to mind that I have not seen crispy-crittered at one time
or another. "Big bangs" take place because something has failed, changed
value, degraded, or been mistreated. The "big bang" usually covers up the
"tink" sound of the grid/fil. short. A good piece of test gear for finding
sources
of big bangs is your nose...they usually stir up quite a stink somewhere.
Too many guys just replace the shorted tubes, and never find out why they
shorted. I suspect tube manufacturers love this approach!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC