[AMPS] Review of antenna tuner from Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Review of antenna tuner from Dayton
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 07:55:12 +0100
Tom says:

>I'm amazed so many people buy tuners instead of building them, or
>using stubs.

Here we definitely agree. Starting from the R + jX you need to match, a
dedicated tuner can be designed to have the lowest operating Q for a particular
impedance transformation ratio.

        >but moving the balun to the input of the tuner does NOT help balance

Just how well balanced are the loads anyway? I suspect that generally, probably
to around 10% mismatch isn't uncommon.. i.e. the impedances from each side to
ground don't match by 10% or possibly more.

        >Tuners are probably one of the most difficult pieces of gear to
        >engineer, because the frequency and impedance ranges are so
      >wide.

This is because the commercial tuner has to be an egg laying, milk and wool
producing flying pig that swims. Much simplification is achieved by building a
dedicated network.

73

Peter G3RZP