[AMPS] Noises in electrolytic capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Noises in electrolytic capacitors
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 10:02:04 -0400
At 06:04 AM 10/2/2001 -0700, 2 wrote:

> >Tom gets the troubleshooting prize for this problem.
>
>//  Agreed
>
> >After pulling the caps,
> >I checked the equalizing/bleeder resistors and found one open! It looks
> >absolutely perfect, no signs of physical damage such as heat, cracks or
> >scrapes. I'll need to get a replacement, then see if the cap is damaged
> >beyond use. It's doubtful at best.

Thinking back a number of years, I had exactly the same experience with the
equalizers in my Viewstar amp.  Two of them were open, with absolutely no
visual evidence that anything was wrong.  These were 10 watt Ohmite Brown
Devils - decent quality wirewounds by most standards.  The resistors
"looked" like new.  In my case, the capacitors were fine despite the open
resistors.

Phil