[AMPS] New to the Amps list

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] New to the Amps list
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:43:17 -0800

>> 1) Is the AL-811H the same copy of AL-811, but
>>   has an extra matched tube.??
>
>No. The AL811H is neutralized and has a few other changes. I'd go
>for the AL811H.
>
>> 2) Can i buy an AL-811 and then later, when i
>>  retube it, drop in a matched quad of 572B's to
>>  make it a AL-811H. I assume the 811 will have an
>>  unused tube socket.
>
>You can drop in 572B's, but it would be a bear to add a  fourth tube
>to the AL811. Three 811's are just on the edge of not needing
>neutralized, add a fourth tube and you would need to neutralize

//   At what frequency is it neutralized on, Mr. Rauch?

>otherwise you'd have the Clipperton Syndrome.

//   Clipperton syndrome appears to be partly the result of mounting the
input bandswitch wafer and the output bs wafer within 2cm of each other
with No shielding.

>Even the Collins 811 amps with four 811's are not totally stable
>because they lack neutralization.

//   The Gonset and the Heath 4, 811A amplifiers were neutralized.  Both
were squirrelly. Heath never built another "neutralized" g-g amplifier.
Gonset went belly up.

>572B's are a good mod to the 811 amp, they make it almost bullet
>proof. It is a cheap way to pick up the most power gain per buck. If
>your signal is marginal, the first few hundred watts more makes the
>biggest difference.
>
>> My setup has a TA-33 with the 2KW traps, a TS-440 exciter
>> and a MFJ-969( 300W tuner).
>
>The MFJ 3KW tuner is a good fit with the AL811, but the 969 is
>certainly not. I would NOT use the MFJ-969 with any amplifier.

//  The MFJ 3kW tuner's Delrin roller coil reportedly caught fire at 900W
in the ARRL Laboratory.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end