[Amps] Glitch resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Glitch resistors
From: gdaught6@leland.stanford.edu (George T. Daughters)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 20:13:02 +0008
Hi all,

This is all about a typo...(a simple error of omission)

> >?  To test a glitch resistor, short the HV+ to gnd.  [Before doing
> >this test, install suitable glitch diodes across the meters and
> >across the grid current and anode/plate current shunt resistors]  The
> >glitch resistor should not exhibit physical damage or a change in R.
> >If the glitch resistor does pass the test, discard it, install two
> >such resistors in series, and repeat the test.
> >
> >Erm, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this test method end up with
> >an exponentially larger and larger pile of resistors in the trash bin
> >:-)
> >
> ?  The right one for the job passes the test unscathed.  A typical
> 3-500Z amplifier PS will not damage a 10 - 15 ohm 10w glass-coated
> resistor in the screwdriver to ground test.

I'm sure that what Rich meant in his original post was "if the glitch
resistor does NOT pass the test, discard it and..."  (My addition of
the word "NOT")

If one keeps discarding those that DO pass the test, then the trash
bin fills rapidly (with GOOD resistors.)

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT