[Amps] Solid state relay question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Solid state relay question
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:34:21 -0700
Richard wrote:

> Solid-state relays around high power RF tend to be problematic.

That turns out to be the answer.  After posting my original message, I noticed
that it did NOT happen when I transmitted into a dummy load, only an antenna.

The acutating voltage comes from a 78L05 regulator which is bypassed both on
input and output.  The wire to the relay box is shielded.  In the relay box, I
added a pi-section filter in the actuating circuit.  It didn't help.

Then I realized that there was probably a high RF potential between the
actuating circuit and the line terminals.  I put a couple of 0.001 mf 3KV
capacitors from the line terminals to ground, and it solved the problem!

I presume that the RF was shutting down the relay, causing the supplies to draw
more current, as Phil suggested.

Thanks, guys.

Vic K2VCO