[Amps] Muffin Fans and hot exhaust

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Muffin Fans and hot exhaust
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:17:40 -0700
It has been many years since I had a college course in AC machinery but
I believe there is enough information in the dark recesses of my memory
to give an explanation of what is happening here. If there are flaws in
my explanation please feel free to correct them.
  Most small AC motors are synchronous induction type. They have poles
on the armature and stator. When 60 hz power is applied, they assume a
rotational speed where the armature  poles are under the stator poles at
precisely the moment when the AC current peaks and the speed is a
function of the number of poles and the line frequency.
  If an excessive load is applied, the speed decreases and the
efficiency decreases because the line current pulses are not applied
when the poles are perfectly aligned. I believe this has been called
pole slippage. If the motor is operated at full voltage it will
overheat. If it is operated at reduced voltage, the motor can reach some
reduced speed for the load applied and survive. I suspect that, under
this condition the rpm will vary as the load varies. In our application
the load is relatively constant so some constant reduced speed is
achieved.
  I have operated a pair of 115 volt fans in series with no ill effects
as have many others.

73, Dan, N5AR