[Amps] 8877s, ETO and the General Electric Contract

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 8877s, ETO and the General Electric Contract
From: 2 at vc.net (rlm)
Date: Tue Mar 4 08:45:52 2003

>> It has been said,  "GE Medical cancelled the contract
>> years after Eimac fixed the heat dam problem."  This
>> statement is wrong.  The amplifiers which replaced the
>> ETO amplifiers have been decommissioned for quite some
>> time, and you can purchase subassemblies at hamfests.
>> I did just that - and the 300 watt solid state driver
>> board which I obtained thusly has a date code on it of
>> early 1988.  Eimac has acknowledged that tubes
>> manufactured from June 1986 to August 1988 were
>> defective.  So it would seem the replacement amplifier
>> was in production while the cathode dam episode was
>> ensuing and anybody who understands the engineering
>> process will correctly surmise that the amplifier was
>> under development even before the cathode dam episode
>> began.  The amplifier was, in fact, a custom, built
>> for GE.
>
>Thanks for helping dispel the false rumors about ETO and 8877's.

It might be a good idea to hold off a bit on lighting up the victory
cigar, Tom.  ETO's loss of the GE Medical contract apparently had nothing
to do with the timing of Eimac's 14-month 8877-heat dam problem.

>The most unfortunate thing in all of this is the amateur radio fraternity
>has been receiving (and some people actually believe) incorrect technical
>information that is supported by false claims and fabricated stories! All of
>it originated by one person!

Tom's Correct Technical Information:
1.  Dipmeter's can't find VHF resonances.
2.  Ni-Cr alloys have less RF resistance as frequency decreases.
3.  AC circuit analysis doesn't work with parasite suppressors.
4.  Feedback C can always be safely ignored in HF amplifiers.
5.  Overdriving a 3-500Z can produce 10,000v at the input of a 4k-ohm to
50-ohm Pi-network with a 50-ohm termination.  (12.5kW pep)

>73 Tom

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end