[Amps] Powering 400w mobile amplifier...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Powering 400w mobile amplifier...
From: philk5pc at tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Tue Jul 29 23:01:45 2003
> >I just purchased a TE Systems 1454 400w 2m amplifier, which I am going to
use
> >both mobile and in fixed-station use. My question is about DC
> >power wiring in my '03 Chevy Suburban.  I believe I will have aprox. 12
feet
> >from the battery to the amp.

Most of the installation manuals I have seen for high power amps suggest a
maximum
of 2-3 foot cable run between battery and amp. I always mount a second
battery in
a plastic box near the amp. Then you can run #4-#8 wire between the two
batteries
for charging purposes. I connect a starter type solenoid with 100% duty
rating between
the two batteries so that they are not electrically connected together
unless the engine is
running. All radio equipment including the amp is connected to the second
battery so that
you can still start the vehicle if a radio is left on too long with the
ignition off. Since you
have no trunk or external tool box in the Suburban like a car or pickup
would have, there
is a venting problem for the aux. battery. Get one of the new sealed units
now available
and you should be fine. The amp and battery box can be mounted on a board,
with quick
disconnect type connectors (Power-Pole, etc.) for speedy removal. For fixed
station use,
you will need only a 15-20 amp auto-tapering battery charger attached to the
battery
terminals. For SSB and CW use, this set-up will easily handle a KW or so.
The battery
also serves to regulate the voltage somewhat, as it is equivalant to a 1
farad  (or so)capacitor.

Every time I have tried high-powered amps using only the existing battery,
the headlights
(and all other lights on the vehicle) would dim  on SSB voice peaks, and CW
key-down. Not
to mention playing havoc with all the electronic bells and whistles on the
newer cars.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC