Re: [Amps] Serious design stage

To: "AA6DX" <aa6dx@pacbell.net>,"Jim Isbell" <millenniumfalcon@cableone.net>,"Mail list Amplifiers" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Serious design stage
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:19:37 -0500

> Hmmm .. just wonder why the large wire requirement, Phil?  We are
not
> connecting a restaurant size `lectric range here.  Assuming we are
talking
> AWG size wiring, the current carrying capabilities @ 230-240 VAC,
single ~
> is about:
> #4 = 37,000 watts
> #6 = 27,000 watts
> #10= 13,800 watts
> #16= 5,750 watts
> (Approximately, safely ... your mileage may vary!)
> Is that not correct?

That is not correct because you did not specify a length.

I don't like warm wiring inside my walls, so I spring for a few bucks
more for cable
when I wire a ham shack. My service here is 37 kva from the street
transformer.
The power company chose to run size 0 wires for the 50 foot run to my
service
entrance panel. I guess we are conservatives down here in Texas!

The bottom line is that you do not want anymore system voltage drop
than is absolutely
necessary.

I was also advising the wire size not for a 4-1000A, but for the
monster transformer
the guy has there. If Rich convinces him to try a 8171 amp at a later
date, he will not have to
rewire the ham shack.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC