Re: [Amps] Serious design stage

To: Merv Schweigert <kh6jj@mobettah.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Serious design stage
From: Jim Isbell <millenniumfalcon@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:13:16 -0500
OK, what do you suggest? I would prefer glow bugs, but may have to go to solid state. I was planing on probably only 4500VDC at less than 0.5 amps. I am going to make the transformer in a box with several taps available to change the output voltage as needed, similar to this project that someone (I accidentally erased the post before I thanked him) sent me the URL to after I posted this question.

http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/lightenup.htm

The only reason for using more than 3000VDC is to reduce the drive requirement to about 100Watts as that is about what the 32S-1 puts out.

Merv Schweigert wrote:

b) Its the coolest looking tube in the world and part of this project, maybe 85%, is to create a linear that will cause ooohs and aaaahhs from the onlookers as they view the 4-1000A and the 866's lit up behind the window in the front of the cabinet.

Agree 4-1000 is a neat looking tube, dont think 866 are going to handle the volts or the current you are looking for there, that blue glow may turn into a blue explosion.. wrong rectifiers.. Merv