Re: [Amps] Serious design stage

To: millenniumfalcon@cableone.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Serious design stage
From: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:22:38 +0200

Jim said:

>I would prefer glow bugs,

In that case, how about the 872? It's a sort of big brother to the 866.

But this is one application where I'd go solid state.

One problem with big mercury vapour (and even big xenon) rectifiers was the
occasional flashover for no apparent reason, especially when getting near
end of life - but sometimes, when new. Finding which tube in 3 phase full
wave arrangement could be pretty difficult, so a trick that was used was to
ahve a small coil in the plate lead with a piece of steel rod in it. When
tehre was a flashover, the steel rod got heavily magnetised, and a small
kiddie's compass was provided hanging up in the rectifier cabinet so the
tech could go reound and check which bit of rod was the most heavily
magnetised and change the tube.

Worked, but always seemed a bit Heath Robinson to me......

73

Peter G3RZP