Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

To: Mike Manship <mjmanship@iquest.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 05:58:52 -0700

On Oct 19, 2004, at 10:41 AM, Mike Manship wrote:

"Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com> wrote:After reading a review in Eham
today for the Emtron DX4 (2 4cx2500s) by an
American ham, I have a question: Is there any kind of operating at the 1.5
kw pep limit that would necessitate an amp with this kind of plate
dissipation? Sounded to me like an invitation to have the FCC park a van in
front of your house.

tks
Rob/K5UJ

Quoting Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>:

Yes. MARS...

How many MARS operators are authorized for 5000 watts ?

- Beats me, but they way the MARS dudes measure power is with an average-reading wattmeter. Thus, it takes c. 20kW-pep of SSB to indicate 5000w.

Mike W9OJ

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org