Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?

To: "Barry Kirkwood" <bjk@ihug.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 5 kw amps -- why?
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:34:23 -0700

On Oct 19, 2004, at 11:44 AM, Barry Kirkwood wrote:

Well, I manged to fry a "1500W " commercially made ferrite balun with significantly less than 1500kW out, let alone 3kW plus.

The ferrite used in commercial HF baluns typically has a mfg.'s max freq rating of 500KHz to 1MHz. However, since balun mfg.'s usually test their products at <5w, they have no idea that there could be a problem. My disillusionment with ferrite baluns began when I discovered that my 7MHz signal had harmonics above 500MHz that were strong enough to wipe out UHF line-of sight TV stations.

Since then have lived in peace with my homebrew coax solenoid baluns.

Amen, Barry. Beautiful baluns are like unto beautiful women.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org