Re: [Amps] caps SB200

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] caps SB200
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:10:21 -0400
Bob,

That resistor is really high resistance. Did you check it with an ohmmeter on
the correct resistance? You may need to use a VTVM to read this high of a
resistance. On a Simpson 260, the meter is ran at 20,000 ohms per volt if I
recall correctly. Other meters can be different. To determine the value of the
resistor needed, you need to use this number. For instance, if using the 1000
Vdc full scale, you would need a 20 megohm resistor (1000 x 20,000). Then for a
5000 Vdc range you would need a 100 megohm resistance total. The resistor for
the probe then would be 100 Megohms minus 20 Megohms equaling 80 megohms for a
5 kV full scale reading. So if yours is similar, you'd be looking at an 80
Megohm resistor! I have seen some meters use 40,000 ohms per volt so this could
be double. You would need to know what the probes voltage rating is, or figure
it by the resistance. Some were made for TV service for pic tube anode voltages
at about 40 kV. My Simpson probes are 10 kV and 5 kV.
 However they did make one for 40 kV I think.

To buy a replacement resistor, you'd probably have to contact a resistor
company that makes HV resistors like these or maybe Simpson. If the probe was
to be bad, it could be fixed or converted to any voltage you want.

Best,

Will