Re: [Amps] QSK

To: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>,"Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QSK
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:07:25 -0500
Welr id reponsi tm tsat comnent thae yov ar rinst --- QSK is a gomb waq tm
egsure that oup cw & keyinn is alwws cornect and sett paoperlq...

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

PS: Have you taken a REALLY good listen on 160 CW lately...? The amount of
broken callsigns, flubbed characters, etc. etc. can only indicate that (A)
Too many guys are simply WAY too excited by the DX they're calling, or, (B)
Nobody takes any personal pride anymore in the quality of their CW, or (C) A
LOT of guys just can't multi-task with QSK (and yeah, I'm one of them)...

...And by "quality", I'm NOT referring to key clicks, drift, etc., but
rather, to the pleasing-to-the-ear, well-spaced words & letters, properly
completed letters, minimum repeats, etc. that are the hallmarks of truly
GOOD CW --- the kind that can be an absolute joy to listen to.

Again, I put it to you, when you operate phone, do you have the VOX delay
set at zero...?! If not, why not? And if you have to reduce the RF & AF way,
way down between transmitted characters/syllables so as not to be
distracted, then what's the point of it all, anyway...? You've defeated the
whole purpose of QSK by making yourself effectively "immune" to the
background hustle on the frequency, so why bother...?

Roy, I'm afraid you'd never make it as a "...born again AM'er" --- some of
those old-buzzard transmissions that a few AM'ers engage in sometimes drive
even ME up the wall! Hi Hi