Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such

To: "Joe Isabella" <n3ji@yahoo.com>,"Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>, <craxd1@verizon.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] IM distortion and such
From: "Cecil Acuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:37:50 -0500
I would bet with the collective wisdom of this group two or three amp
designs fitting the power levels and complexity generally agreed upon could
be created and posted in an FAQ or Projects section of the Amps list.  It
would need to include details...such as how to make various parts or where
to buy various parts.  i.e....winding toroids and which core to use.  What
surplus parts would be best suited for use in a particular design and where
to get them.

Personally I would love to build an amp from scratch...haven't done that
since high school when I built a dual 813 amp from hamfest parts for use
with my Heath HW-101.  My Dad folded me up a galvanized steel chassis with
an aluminum front panel at the local Jr. College VoTech where he taught.  He
passed away a few years back...wish I still had that amp....or even pictures
of it.  Would have been a lot easier if I had known more about tubes and
picked a simple triode. The 813's were big, new and cheap with sockets back
in 1974.....Looked impressive but didn't make a whole lot of power...think I
got around 450 watts DC out using variable caps and a roller inductor from a
Collins KWS-1.

My interests would be a basic manual tuned amp with a 2kw PEP output
capability with the ability to switch it to a lower plate voltage to allow
it to loaf along at say 1kw PEP or 600 to 800 watts CW out all day long.
Based on a single tube or maybe a pair of tubes.  Cheap tubes allowing
retubing of the amp for a few hundred dollars...less if possible.  Something
fairly bulletproof, buildable with surplus parts such as transformers and
variable caps so one does not have to buy high dollar new for everything.
Stabile and clean output a must...

1.5 to 50 Mhz.....

Total parts bill of less than 1K including tubes desirable.

A 1K PEP output solid state auto band switching black box would  also be
nice....that would communicate with my FT-1000D....

That didn't cost 3K+

Oh well one can dream....

Bet this group could do it....got to save the competitiveness for the
contesting though and be an AMPS team to get it done....

Cecil....