Re: [Amps] Triode vs Tetrode Amp

To: <TexasRF@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Triode vs Tetrode Amp
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:47:14 -0400
The National NCL2000 with 8122 tetrodes ran a swamped grid input that could
be configured for either 10-20 or 50-100W drive. IMD was nothing fancy,
~ -28 or so, but this was a 1963 design. The FCC CB rule change killed that
amp. The retrofit using 4CX400A's that I designed for Svetlana improved that
to -32 dB.

The Tokyo Hy Power HL-1K/A ran a pair of 4CX250B's in a cathode driven setup
with the control grid at RF ground. Typically 9-10dB stage gain and up to
600W out. A review gave -34 dB IMD. Battleship construction and a relatively
high landed price limited US sales but they sold good in Asia/Oceania.
Something to consider for a home brew circuit since those tubes are
everywhere and the special Eimac/Johnson socket is not needed.

Both the above amps could be driven with a SS xcvr without resorting to an
internal/external tuner.

 Carl
KM1H
National Radio 1963-69  Member of NCL2000 Design Team