Re: [Amps] Relays

To: "'John/K4WJ'" <k4wj@bellsouth.net>, "'amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Relays
From: "Alex" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:19:57 +0300
.... I'll explain that noise point:
In order to reduce the intrinsic resistance of the PIN diode, you have -
especially with the BIG high power ones- to pass about 200mA or more through
the receive diode in order to reach 1 ohms or so. With this amount of
current , the junction generates noise which can be seen to raise the noise
at the antenna terminal. In my job I had access to an HP noise figure meter
and found about 0.5 dB increases.
It really isn't much, when considering that an HF radio has a noise figure
of about 10 dB but it's there! In an average location you probably won't
notice it, but it's there.
It also introduces a few tenths of decibel loss (resistive) and that adds
directly to the noise figure of the receiver!
Overall you can expect about 0.8 to 1 dB degradation on receive and that
also what most of them are specified.

73,     Alex