Re: [Amps] Relays

To: "amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Relays
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 10:32:40 -0400
> Alpha began using PIN diodes later in life, did they not?
> Any reports on that picture of reliability?

I can't comment on the failure rate statistics, but I can tell you I have a
real love-hate relationship with high-power PIN diodes.  I know that they
will not hold up as well as a vacuum relay under adverse operating
conditions (e.g., certain points on the SWR circle).  On the other hand, I
have an Alpha 86 with PIN diodes that has performed exceptionally well under
some pretty harsh conditions and I've not yet experience a failure.
Probably for resonant or near-resonant antennas under a 2:1 VSWR, they are
fine.  And, as ling as the SWR protection circuitry is paying attention, I
am not sure why the diodes fail unless they are being operated at full power
at a VSWR of 2:1 for extended periods of time with modes like RTTY.

I like the robust design of vacuum relays, but I also like the completely
silent switching offered by PIN diodes.  I do see that Alpha has just
released a PCB for the 86 that replaces the PIN diodes with a Jennings RF-1
vacuum relay.  It's a 100% drop-in replacement for the existing T/R board.
Cost of the board alone is $500.00 from Alpha.  I plan on ordering one to
keep on the shelf, but I have every intention of keeping the 86 in stock
condition for as long as possible.

My current Alpha amp line-up consists of a 77Dx, 70V, and 86.  The 77Dx uses
a Jennings RJ-1, while the 70V uses a Jennings RF-1.  Neither relay has
required replacement and the RF-1 is now 38 years old and has definitely
worked for a living.

Paul, W9AC