Re: [Amps] Relays

Subject: Re: [Amps] Relays
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:28:21 -0400
Greg - AB7R wrote:
> Can someone tell me what the extremes are on typical t/r relays in amps?
> Many
> newer amps seem fine with a 10ms delay from keydown to RF.  I'm wondering if
> there
> are amps that are even quicker than this and what some worse case scenarios
> are
> with older amps.

I think you are asking about "store bought" amps, which I can't
address. Certainly for homebrew amps using smallish vacuum relays it
is easy to get in the 4-5ms range or less. As has been mentioned,
RJ1A or HC1 relays typically switch faster than that without any
speed up techniques being employed. My amps using RJ1A's are ready
in 2ms using slightly higher than rated power supply voltage with
the appropriate series resistor.

73,
Paul N1BUG