Re: [Amps] AL-80A HV Glitch

To: Mark McCloud <k6ycv@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-80A HV Glitch
From: George <k4gvt@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:48:10 -0400
Hello Mark, I have an ALS1500, and had a similar problem. Found the
screws holding the HV filter board had become loose during shipping.
This was not a problem until after several weeks of use. Once it
surfaced it progressively got worse. Normally this wouldn't be a problem
(unless
they completely disengaged, however Ameritron has elected to use the
standoffs supporting the HV filter board as the ground return path for
the HV.
This can be very dangerous as well as problematic, as in my case. Not to
mention poor engineering practice.  After tightening the screws on both
side of the standoffs, I added ground wires (four) from the filter board
to the chassis. This resolved the arcing issue and gave me more confidence
in the power supply connections.

73,
George, K4GVT