Re: [Amps] How to test a balun?

To: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>, "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How to test a balun?
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 18:44:30 +0200
The "classical" way to check balun performance, at least on lower
frequencies, is to connect a balanced resistive load with the correct
impedance and the center tap "grounded".

Using an RF voltmeter or an oscilloscope, it can be checked that the correct
voltage relationships exist between "ground" and both ends of the load. An
oscilloscope or vector voltmeter also gives the phase balance, which should
be shown as 180 degrees opposite at each load end.

This becomes increasingly difficult with increasing frequency, and the RF
voltmeter or oscilloscope input impedances usually influence the results at
UHF frequencies.

It may be possible to measure this using very loose coupling between the
load and the transmission port of a vector network analyser capable of
measuring large attenuations. The main difficulty would be to avoid stray
coupling between the "ends" of the load and the network analyser input.

A reference phase and amplitude value should be established at one "end" of
the load, and the measurement repeated at the other. Deviations
from the reference amplitude value indicate the amplitude balance, and from
180 degrees indicate phase balance.

There are special test sets available for measuring balanced devices such as
baluns, see i.a. www.agilent.com/find/balanced

Also, some guidance can be found in two Mini-Circuits application notes;

http://www.minicircuits.com/pages/pdfs/howxfmerwork.pdf

and

http://www.minicircuits.com/pages/BalunApplicationNote.htm

73/