Re: [Amps] Need help understanding an old Transformer

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need help understanding an old Transformer
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 16:34:41 +0000

> 3440/3440                    3000                     500
> 115-230         1690

I THINK you are going to use a full wave rectifier (2 strings of modern
diodes), into a choke, and
get 3000 volts out, at 500 ma = 1500 watts.  Perfect, right at the legal limit.
(Ignoring bleeder load.)
And the primary is going to suck 1690 watts from the line, resulting in a 190
watt loss in the core.

Of course I could be wrong, but I get some extra credit for being first to turn
in my quiz don't I?

Rick  K2XT