[Amps] SB-220 bias question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 bias question
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 07:09:07 EDT
It was always my understanding with the SB-220 and other older amps that
the reason for lowering the plate voltage on the 3-500's or whatever tube,
was  to comply with FCC regulations.  Years ago the rule was 1KW DC input CW
and  2KW PEP input SSB hence the change in plate voltage.  Now that this rule
 has changed I was thinking.  It is my observation that the 3-500 tube
performs much better with 3000 or more plate voltage, tube makes nice power
with  lower grid current for the same power at a lower plate voltage.  Hence,
my  idea.
I routinely use 7 1N5408  reversed diodes to replace blown  zeners.
Expanding on that idea I was thinking of removing the power  transformer
primary
windings from the CW/SSB switch and wire nutting the   wires together that
produce the higher plate voltage, then making up a small  perf board with
about (have to experiment) 11 diodes and using the CW/SSB switch  to short out
4
of the diodes on CW to lower the idle current and have normal SSB  idle
current when switched to SSB.  That has been the modern day approach  to this
on the newer amps since the FCC ruling has changed.  Many hams I  know went
to running CW with an SB-220 and other older amps in the SSB mode  anyway.
Thoughts?  73 lou