Re: [Amps] SB-220 bias question

To: <gudguyham@aol.com>, <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 bias question
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:33:35 -0400

> So in other words it's not a technical issue so much as it is
> a "idiot proof" fail safe measure?

No.  The SB-220 will not survive RTTY operation in "full smoke"
mode.  100% duty cycle at 1500 W output will cook both the
transformer and the output.  Running at lower power keeps the
transformer and pi-network within ratings and doing so at the
lower voltage setting keeps correct plate load impedance.

Remember, the SB-220 was designed for 1 KW DC (average) input
power.  That it will handle 1500 W PEP output with reasonable
duty cycles is a testament to the care that went into the design.
Still, it is no Alpha or Henry and will self destruct if pushed
to 1500 W CW "brick on the key" output (approximately 2500 W DC
input).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV