Re: [Amps] HV Fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Fuses
From: K1SG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:59:21 EST
I love this list!  It always gives me new ways to think about a  problem.
Thanks Steve, Larry and Carl for your input.
Steve, if there's room to fuse at the B- side, that's an easy and elegant
solution. Given the physical layout, it may require complete disassembly of
the  power supply and moving 150 pounds of power transformer out of the way,
so it's  somewhat less appealing.
Carl, I don't have any quantitative information on forming and sustaining
an arc. If the gap is, say, an inch or and inch and a half, is that going to
be  likely to sustain an arc when the wire melts, assuming worst case, 5KV.
The way  it's constructed, there's nothing nearby for the wire to short to
or arc  to.
Larry, thanks, you gave me the most direct answer to my question. I think
I'm going to do some experimenting with strands removed from power cords,
but do  the experiments with a current-limited 12V supply.

Steve  Gilbert
K1SG
K1SG@AOL.com
508-435-9133
FN42fe

In a message dated 2/16/2010 8:24:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,