Re: [Amps] HV Fuses

To: amps@contesting.com, K1SG@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Fuses
From: Larry <larry@w7iuv.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:11:23 -0800
Steve,

#30 is way too big. I use #40 for 1-1.2 amp. I'd suggest #38 for your 2
amp supply. The object of the game is to EASILY fuse the wire, not wire
your house with it.

Fine wire sizes can be easily obtained by stripping a piece of common
lamp cord. The fine strands are each in the range of 36 to 42 usually.
Take a sample from all of your discarded appliance cords and save a few
feet of several sizes.

Make sure you pull the wire tight and keep it 2" or less between
supports. I use some spring clip thingys on ceramic standoffs so that
if/when it blows I can just push a new piece of wire into the clips
without tools.

If the wire is sized correctly, it will fuse very fast and protect
everything. I've been using this system for many years on "problem"
tubes that like to arc. Never had any collateral damage occur due to an
"event" even when there was no glitch resistor present.

73,

Larry - W7IUV