[Amps] HV Fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] HV Fuses
From: K1SG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:59:19 EST
In recent threads, there have been a number of comments about high voltage
fuses.
Carl mentioned sand-filled fuses, something I hadn't heard of.
I checked the Mouser catalog for HV fuses, and was stricken with
sticker-shock...$38 for a fuse?
OK, we re-think this one...
I know that an old but workable approach is  to use  a thin piece of wire
as a fuse...mount it between a couple of  standoff insulators, and it should
function fine, and if current is  substantially too high, the fuse wire
blows. How do you figure the appropriate  size wire to use? And then, how do
you
go about ordering 6" of #30 wire, or  whatever it is? If you need more
current capacity, to use the above example, can  I put two strands of #30 wire
in parallel, and expect them to function as a  reliable fuse?  I'm always
worried about kinking the wire, or if it's  enameled, sanding off more than
just the insulation.
The plan is to fuse the HV output of a 5KV 2A supply to a 3X3, which of
course will only be used at the legal limit or into a dummy load.

Steve  Gilbert
K1SG
K1SG@AOL.com
508-435-9133