Re: [Amps] Clipperton-L parasitic suppressors

To: Rob Stampfli <rob@cboh.org>,Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Clipperton-L parasitic suppressors
From: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:58:40 +0800
At 07:33 AM 13/03/2010, Rob Stampfli wrote:
>I am reminded of an exchange between Neils Bohr and a friend.  The
>friend had just discovered a horseshoe nailed above Bohr's door and
>asked why it was there.  "It's supposed to bring good luck", said Bohr.
>"Surely you don't believe such rubbish," replied the friend.  "Of
>course not," said Bohr, "but I understand it works whether you believe
>it or not."
>
>Frankly, everything I've read on the results of adding Rich Measure's
>suppressor kits has been positive.  Without wading into the fray of
>whether the theory behind them is sound or not, can anyone provide
>direct evidence of their lack of efficacy?

No, I can't.

My experience is limited to about 10 Yaesu amps, 3 x SB-220, and a
couple of home brew models (3-500Z and 4-1000A).

>  Inquiring minds want to
>know.
>
>Another alternative is to order the little sub-board from Ameritron:
>         http://ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=AL-572
>It seems to work, too.

Agreed. I've worked on 3 AL-811 amps and that is one area that did no
require attention. I think they are like what Carl described in his post.

73, Alek
VK6APK

http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6apk
http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6py