Re: [Amps] Clipperton-L parasitic suppressors

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>,"Larry" <w6nws@arrl.net>, "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Clipperton-L parasitic suppressors
From: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:43:47 +0800
At 06:57 AM 13/03/2010, Carl wrote:
>No offense Alek but the masses on here dont believe in voodo science as they
>do on the forum you just arrived from. You might want to search the archives
>on the subject.

Ha ha. No offense taken Carl. You won't offend me in a hurry. Number
1, I'm married. Number 2, I live by the principle that if you strike
a match, then don't cry to mummy (you say mommy) that the fire is too
hot. I lit the match so I gotta take the flame.

You are probably right about voodoo science but all that is quite
irrelevant to me, because I know from my own experience, that they do
actually work. I'm satisfied with that.

>Larry, for a real suppressor that works get a Xicon 50 Ohm 5W MOX resistor
>and a pair of 100pf 500V silver micas for each suppressor from Mouser.
>
>Lay a resistor and the original (or a clone) in parallel. Connect a cap
>between them at both ends. Wire it dead bug or on perf board.

You said a pair of SM caps for each suppressor. Do you put the 2 caps
in series to give you 50pF @ 1kV and then put that in parallel with
the coil and resistor?

If so, then I am interested enough to try it out on my Clipperton L
which is also being done up. I just got a Ameritron plate choke in
the mail this week so I'll be installing that next weekend, along
with the .01uF at the base. I have a bundle of 50 Ohm, 5W MOF
resistors and 100pF SM caps, so I will do up the suppressors as well.

Cheers, Alek
VK6APK

http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6apk
http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6py