Re: [Amps] Clipperton-L parasitic suppressors

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>,"Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Clipperton-L parasitic suppressors
From: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 06:06:07 +0800
At 08:52 AM 13/03/2010, Carl wrote:
>Lots of things work Alek, there are enough poorly designed amps on
>the market that prove that.
>
>I prefer to attack the problem; and not the symptom and lose a few
>hundred watts on 10M to heat.

That's gotta be the "Classic Line Of The Week" mate.

I mean what is a parasitic suppressor? What is any parasitic
suppressor? Is it not something that "attacks the symptom and not the
problem"? Whether it is made of strap, copper, stainless steel,
Nichrome, has Silver Mica capacitors, 100 Ohm resistors, 50 Ohm
resistors or whatever, it is still a device which attacks "the symptom".

Throughout the ages, it has been found that a number, if not all, of
the methods listed above, are effective in reducing the symptom. None
of them attack the problem.

If you effectively attack "the problem", you would not need to use a
parasitic suppressor at all. Are you suggesting that we can all
design, and build our amplifiers in such a way that we do not need to
use these devices?

We know that certain tubes, depending on their construction and their
electrical characteristics, are less prone to the problem than
others. In those cases, the problem is solved and you can get away
without a suppressor. Would you be brave enough to put a 3-500Z or
572B or 3-1000Z amplifier which has no parasitic suppressor/s onto
the market? No, of course not. You would have to include suppressors
in case that "symptom" ever reared its ugly head.

Cheers and thanks,
Alek.VK6APK

http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6apk
http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6py