Re: [Amps] Alpha77DX

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha77DX
From: K1SG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 16:32:35 EDT
Charlie, I have an Alpha 77D which also had the sticky paint issue on the
covers. I bought a set of panels from Frontier Engineering in CO, but they
only  had the 77SX panels available. They're pretty, not sticky, and they add
3 dB in  bragging rights, with no increase in the electric bill!
BTW, Alpha does occasionally have the panels available; with the new
management, it might be worth bugging them about panels again.
You will love them amp. I've had this one for 25+ years, and the only time
I had a problem was when I loaned it to a friend who dropkicked it.

Steve

Steve  Gilbert
K1SG
K1SG@AOL.com
508-435-9133
FN42fe

In a message dated 5/30/2010 2:02:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
amps-request@contesting.com writes:

>  From: weeksmgr@hotmail.com
> To: amps@contesting.com
> Date: Wed,  26 May 2010 23:18:08 -0500
> Subject: [Amps] Alpha 77DX
>

> I have purchased a one owner Alpha 77DX, from the estate of a recent  SK.
This amp had little use, and to the best of my knowledge was not used at
all since about 1981/83. The original invoice (1977) and manual came with it.
 I brought it back to life carefully, taking the necessary precautions with
the  tube. It works flawlessly. There are a couple of issues.

> First, it has the well known sticky paint problem. I have  researched the
archives, and looked on Alpha's site. New top and side panels  are
available, as is the face plate for a 77SX. I have no intention of putting  a
second
tube in this, so would rather not put an SX panel on it. Anyone aware  of
another option for obtaining a new front panel, or having this one redone?

> The inside is in mint condition and looks  new, but there is a slight
trace of oil only on the top of the capacitor, so  it is leaking. From the
archives, this seems to be a common problem. Are folks  replacing this with
another oil filled cap or have banks of electrolytics been  retrofitted as a
fix? Any current sources for replacement caps?

> I have always wanted one of these. It is a  beautiful amplifier inside,
very heavy duty construction compared to my other  amplifiers.