Re: [Amps] GS-35b heat sink

To: "Glen Zook" <gzook@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS-35b heat sink
From: "DAVE WHITE" <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 08:17:42 +0100
I don't think the hole is tapered.  I've seen loads of these things around
at Eurpoean fleamarkets over the years, but never took that much notice of
the tube geometry so I could be wrong.  I'm pretty sure it's just an
interference fit with the threaded nut to hold it in.  However that's a bit
counter-intuitive to my thinking:  wouldn't a taper be better from a heat
transfer point of view since it's more likely to get a good surface contact
all the way down?  However these things were built to a price in the old
Soviet Union where design simplicity* (and tooling simplicity*) was a big
criterion so if it's not tapered I'd be tempted to put a load of heat sink
splodge between tube and heatsink (unless it's already there)?

* I like simplicity.  Simplicity is *GOOD* and comes right after Godliness
and cleanliness in my book :-)

cheers

Dave G0OIL