Re: [Amps] MOSFET ratings

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MOSFET ratings
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:59:47 -0400
Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:

> Steve,

>> One cross reference for the IXYS transistor you mention is
>> STP4NK80Z. If you look at the ST datasheet, it shows the lower
>> dV/dt as applying to the MOSFET diode

> Yes, that's right. But a MOSFET's internal diode is impossible to
> separate from the MOSFET. So if the diode is limited to 5 V/ns slew rate
> or so, then I can't see how the entire MOSFET could have a higher slew rate!

   If the diode is for protection, it doesn't effect the operation until the
diode/s starts to
conduct.  Therefor the device has speed limitations when it is over driven and
different speed
limitations when it is not over driven.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - Mistakes are often the stepping stones to utter failure.