Re: [Amps] Alpha 78

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 04:22:54 -0400
On 8/25/2012 4:06 PM, Carol Richards wrote:
> I am using an alpha 78 with a pair of 3cx800A's  instead of the hard to get
> and afford  8874's.  I get about 1200w output on cw.  Not bad since the power
> supply only provides 2000V  and I am only able to drive it with 100w..   My
> question is   when I operate RTTY is it still safe to run the alpha at max
> output or should I cut back on the drive...This is especially important if I
> plan to operate a RTTY contest.

Just give it the smell test, or stick a thermocouple onto the core and
keep track of the temp.  Bout I'd settle for about 40C rise over room
temp as good for 24 X 7.  The hams on here who really know transformers
probably can give a limit higher than that for the different
transformers use in the Alphas, or at least more accurate.

73

Roger (K8RI)