Re: [Amps] Transformer choice

To: "'Ulf \(SM0NOR\)'" <ulf@sm0nor.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer choice
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 05:55:20 -0700
Hi Ulf,
To me the choice depends on how much you trust Company B. If Company B can be
trusted to meet their quoted specifications (2000VA with 2.5% voltage drop at
full load), then I'd go with them. As you note, 11 kilo is as big or bigger
than the transformers in many ham-rated commercial amps of the same power
rating.  If you're planning on heavy contest use, or RTTY service, then Company
A is probably the better choice, but for routine ham operation I'd think
Company B makes mores sense, considering the large price differential. An
interesting choice.
73,
Jim W8ZR