[Amps] Look at this Custom 10kW Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Look at this Custom 10kW Amp
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 05:16:44 -0700
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:30:37 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Look at this Custom 10kW Amp

On 4/10/2013 8:17 PM, Patrick wrote:
> So engaging in condescension is "being an adult" too?

It's not about money, it's about playing by the rules when your
violation of the rules matters to others in the same sandbox.

10kW is 8.2 dB more than the legal limit in the US, which means you have
that much advantage in a competitive situation (like a DX pileup or
contest) when you use that 10kW that you paid for. And it means the
splatter from your ancient (or badly tuned) rig is 8.2 dB louder than it
would be with a legal limit amp. And so on.

I have great disrespect for those who are inconsiderate of others.

73, Jim K9YC

##  Who really cares how one obtains their ERP ?   You blather on about the
8.2 db advantage, but it’s  “OK”  to use multiple 200 foot  tall towers and
stacked
yagi’s.  What are you, a hypocrite?    8.2db = 1.4 s units, big deal.  1.5 kw
into
an 80m yagi up 200 feet  is ok..... but 5-15 kw into an inverted vee up 85 feet
will put you in jail, gimme a break.   Most folks can only do so much with ants,
due to space constraints.  I’d love to be on acreage, but I’m not.  How about
all you
folks with 200 foot towers reduce your power by 15 db, so the playing field
within
the sandbox gets leveled for the 1st time in 30 years.

## Just a lot of sour grapes from folks who foolishly spent $10,000
on their legal limit amps.  The $1400 I spent on my 253 lb Dahl xfmr
was money well spent, as was the  money spent for the surplus ceramic
vac tune and vac  loads caps.  1/2 inch copper tubing is still  dirt cheap at
home depot..and it
looks real good after I silver plate it.  -59 db pep  IMD3 is plenty good
enough for me,and
easily attainable with a big tube amp.

##  If you want to know how to construct a 35 kw balun, read my tutorial.

##   I like my  550 hp Roush mustang too.  0-60 in 3.84 secs flat.   I use the
supercharger
on a daily basis.   50-100 mph is a real hoot.  Lays rubber starting in 3rd
gear  from a  complete stop
....and off we go to 100 mph, all in 3rd gear. Come this June, in goes an even
bigger supercharger.
I spent the last 2 years modifying the car to my specs.  94 octane works good.

##  If we all drove a Prius at 30 mph, and ran 1.5 kw, I’d be bored out of my
mind.

Later... Jim  VE7RF