Re: [Amps] Plate choke explodes

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate choke explodes
From: Dick NY1E <dick@ny1e.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 09:56:07 -0700 (PDT)
I've used an Ohmite Z-50 for a plate choke in my 6M 8877 since 1999, no smoke
yet.

Dick, NY1E

ORIGINAL MESSAGE (may be snipped):
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:03:06 -0400, you wrote:

>It was an Ohmite Z-50 choke that exploded the first time.  That's what Orr
>Radio Handbook 23rd edition uses on its 6m amp.

REPLY:
I remember the Ohmite Z-series chokes. That are effective chokes precisely
because they are self-resonant around the frequency of their nomenclature,
i.e, Z-50 = 50 MHz.

They are ok for filtering RF but they are the LAST thing you want to use for
a plate choke in a pi network output circuit.

I can't believe Mr Orr would use one for a plate choke except maybe in a
very QRP rig. Smoke time.