Re: [Amps] Need help with switch nomenclature

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need help with switch nomenclature
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:28:53 -0700
On 4/25/2013 11:50 AM, Charles Bibb - K5ZK wrote:

Way back in my foggy memory somewhere, I remember using and amplifier
made by B & W.   I think it was a "Model 1500", but I'm not sure.  It
used a pair of 813's.

What I remember as unique about this amp was its "ON" or "POWER" switch.
It used a rotary switch to turn on the various functions one at a time.

In other words:  Position 1 turned on the fan only. Position 2 kept the
fan on, and lit the filaments. Position 3 kept the previous two
functions on, and turned on the HV supply.

My question is, then:  What is this kind of switch called?  I used one
of these switches (salvaged from an old tube tester) in my very first
amplifier, and I'd like to use one again, but for the life of me I can't
find one from my usual parts sources because I don't know what it's
properly called.

It isn't "make before break" because it never breaks the previous
positions.  I thought it would just be a "shorting type", but this is
not the way any of the "shorting type" switches offered for sale operate.

I'm stumped!  Any help would be appreciated.

It's a shorting switch.
In the case where it just keeps adding elements, it's a progressive, shorting switch.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73,
Charles - K5ZK