Re: [Amps] Participate in NASA experiment

To: "amps >> \"amps@contesting.com\"" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Participate in NASA experiment
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 15:56:32 -0700
On 10/7/2013 2:18 PM, Manfred Mornhinweg wrote:
Jim,

I think this question is kind of mute now with the government shut down.

Do they stop the spacecraft in their orbits while the government remains
shut down? I fear that will be kind of hard to do! :-)

So, the flyby is coming, whether they want it or not! I suppose they can
read out the data from the sat once the politicians have finished
sparring.

When NASA does something with ham radio, it's highly likely that some
ham working at NASA is behind that. I guess he will run the game anyway,
regardless of the politic theater play.

Manfred

These two guys are responsible:

Don Kirchner KD0L, Waves Principal Engineer
William Robison KC0JFQ, Waves Software Engineer

The JUNO mission is managed and operated by JPL in Pasadena and JPL has not shutdown (yet). It is operated by Caltech under contract with NASA, so there is some buffering between the shutdown of the government money spigot and impacts to organizations like JPL which aren't technically government facilities even though they sort of are (it's complicated).

Both KD0L and KC0JFQ are both with the University of Iowa. They do a lot of space plasma physics there (in large part I think thanks to the legacy of James Van Allen). As is often the case NASA missions can be a collaboration of NASA centers, aerospace industry partners, and academia.

I would be surprised if this activity is disrupted.