Re: [Amps] MOVs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MOVs
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 22:57:10 -0500
On 1/24/2014 12:49 PM, Saandy wrote:
Guys , think! Nothing gets conducted to a point not connected anywhere!
A MOV is intended to a supposedly safe limit a voltage differential between
2 points. Protection between the line and something ground connected is
achieved with a common mode choke.
It's more important to remember that MOV's have another problem: they have a
finite life time. They can be zapped a given number of times only; lattice
crystal inside get destroyed every surge and after a while you end up with
no protection, even though you think you're safe.
Use them sparingly and with circumspection!

I think it would be more correct to say an MOV can absorb a given amount of energy in joules rather than a number of hits.

We don't know how many hits it can take because we do not know the energy in each hit. Take a 100 joule MOV and hit it with a single spike containing 100 joules. It's all done.

I quit work to go to college in 87. and the lastime I worked with MOVs was well before that.

I do know an MOV that has taken a number of hits and is still surviving will handle no where near its original rating. I don't remember if it's linear or not. Will a 100 joule MOV which will be done after one 100 joule his be capable of taking 100 1 joule hits?

But Alex is correct. MOVs have a finite life. I'd add that their raring are reduced with every hit, so one would do well to design with extra capacity in mind.

The MOV is like a voltage variable resistor, but in reverse. That and the conduction trace has a knee. They do not have a specific voltage where they turn on. They have a voltage where they start to conduct, but at a high resistance. As the voltage goes up, the resistance goes down. They reach a point where the resistance goes down rapidly, but this changes with the amount of energy the MOV has absorbed. With each successive hit the turn on voltage is reduced and that knee also occurs at a lower voltage. I don't remember for sure, but I believe the knee is softened, or spread out. As I said, it's probably been in the neighborhood of 30 years since I worked with these.

In general terms, it still breaks down to the MOV has a finite life and with use, its ratings are reduced.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Alex    4Z5KS