Re: [Amps] Recommended Tuner for Clipperton L

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Recommended Tuner for Clipperton L
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 13:48:00 -0500
On 2/2/2014 10:06 AM, Carl wrote:
Most tuners have insufficient C for efficiency on 160 and some even for 80 and that includes the Dentrons.

For 160 a good 500pf is needed and 250-300 for 80.

The big Palstar tuners have worked well for me. The AT-5K and AT-5K HP.
I don't see the AT5K HP listed any more. It was a coax only tuner with no metering which was ideal for me.

I've had no problems with the half sloper, center fed droopy dipole on 160, or the Fan Dipole on 75. The Dentrons and MFJ 989 series would all "hiss" at me on 160 near the top end of the band at much over 1 KW out. The AT5K series have 600Pf at 6 KV while the AT2K only has 400 Pf and the AT4K has 460 Pf @ 6 KV

I don't know how their smaller units would do, but I expect/guess they would have the same problems as the other tuners with those ratings as they all get derated at low impedances OTOH they do have a higher voltage rating.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

David, that HB tuner you sold me before moving down to the swamplands would have been ideal.

Carl
KM1H