Re: [Amps] SG-500 and N8XJK Super Booster

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SG-500 and N8XJK Super Booster
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:46:56 -0700
On Sun,9/11/2016 6:13 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
IF you put the cap at the battery, then u
don’t have the problem with v drops between cap + battery.  But you still  need
big gauge  wire to the amp.

Exactly the opposite is true -- with the cap at the battery, IR drop will vary with modulation on both the positive and negative leads -- it follows the modulation envelope. If you connect headphones between the battery and the radio, you will hear what sounds like SSB with an AM detector. With the cap at the radio (and if it's big enough), the voltage at the radio is reduced by the AVERAGE of the load current, but it doesn't follow modulation.

I agree with the recommendation for the super-cap, but it should definitely be at the radio. I also agree with the recommendation for BIG wire.

73, Jim K9YC