Re: [Amps] Audio/RF compression

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Audio/RF compression
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 13:51:34 -0500

Delays of over 100 ms begin to become distracting.  It is a matter of
the user's ("talent" for broadcasters) ability to handle distraction.
However in my experience, even the most skilled "talent" fell apart and
became stuttering idiots when the delays were 120 to 130 ms or more
(the delay of a typical digital cellular system combined with the
unavoidable propagation delay when we were moving from the original
analog cells to digital cellular systems).

The talent could handle longer program delays (and the viewer did not
notice the slightly slower response from the field reporter) but when
their own voice (sidetone/monitor) came back with the program, it was
impossible for the talent deal with the distraction.  Any trained
observer can spot the symptoms even today when the "talent" rips
his/her earpiece out while on the air!

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV