Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube amps are not a thing of the past
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 08:28:53 -0400
On 6/5/2017 3:46 AM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:

The current crop of new devices is likely to be around much longer
than devices made just 10 years ago.
Given the trend to pallet based amplifiers, I doubt the device shelf
lifetime will be very long.  Instead, rather than replace an LDMOS
device on a pallet, the entire pallet (input transformer, bias,
output transformer, spreader, etc.) will be replaced in the event
of a device failure much like an entire tube is replaced in a tube
amplifier.

It may not matter what device (or devices) is used on a given pallet
so long as the I/O and form factor are the same and the new pallet
equals or exceeds the PO, compression point and IMD specs of the old.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV