[Amps] Amplifier for 630 meter band

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Amplifier for 630 meter band
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:01:17 +0000 (UTC)
I'm starting to think about building a transmitting station for 630 meters next
spring. I've filed my UTC request and expect it to be approved.

I think it will be much easier to start with an existing amplifier and modify
it rather than building from scratch.  I have no sheet-metal-working experience
and I'm not interested in putting in the time and effort to learn that skill.

Something like a junk SB-200 with a good power supply and burned bandswitch
seems like a reasonable starting point. Good 572B tubes are once again
available from RF Parts.  I'm sure there are many other models of tube amp that
would work.  It will probably depend on what I can find available.  Replacing
all of the filtering and tuned input/output circuits seems pretty
straightforward. Some pretty hefty capacitors and inductors will probably be
needed.

What are everyone's thoughts on a simple, inexpensive conversion of a 500 watt
amp for 472-479 kHz?