Re: [Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glitch resistor + fuse?
From: Dick NY1E <dick@ny1e.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:35:46 +0000 (UTC)
Where can I find a fuse holder for the microwave oven fuses, at 1.6" it doesn't
sound like it would fit a 1.25" holder. Would an old appliance have a removable
fuse holder?
Dick NY1E

"Modern fuses designed for the job are a better alternative (and easier
to find) than the Drake solution, but with a caveat. An ordinary
3AG-type fuse won't do the job. It will arc internally and won't
interrupt the current flow. What I use are microwave oven fuses, rated
at 5 kV. These look like ordinary 3AG fuses but are a bit longer.They
cost about $2 each and come in various current ratings. Typically an
850mA rating is a normal choice for ham amplifiers, but if more current
is desired, they can be paralleled. You can buy them from dozens of
sources and in multiple quantities on Amazon or eBay. Here's a link to
one supplier:"

https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Tube-Fuse-0-85A-Microwave/dp/B00X74LUJ6/ref=pd_day0_469_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CSR8VA8Q86YGRD5DJX5W

73,
Jim W8ZR